Tuesday 14 May 2013

Welcome To The XFunc 2013 Remake!

I've had this website, XFunc.com, for a long time now. Twelve years. I began it in 2000 after being a fly on the wall of a Web 1.0 company called "The NRG Group". They were an internet incubator and a youth marketing company. Actually, while the incubator dried up it did spawn some lasting companies - and the youth-marketing arm of the incubator is still operating right now... It's called Youthography.com... So it wasn't a total "bust out", that adventure...

Not that I was in the middle of anything. I came into there to design a game for them about banking... To teach high school kids about banking, actually. I'll be posting descriptions of my projects over the coming days.

Anyway... I built xfunc.com then... Mostly to promote a documentary I had made about Counter-Strike. That doc went all the way to the top. Valve saw it. I had lengthy phone conversations with their agent at CAA. I talked to Cliffe on the phone (he's one of the CS mod's originators). Finally I got my own agent, and it would've been screened... but, so the story goes, they didn't like the flickering screens. I think maybe what they really meant, but were afraid to say, was that they thought it needed changes. But these large companies are wary of getting involved in creative discussions with lone individuals out there in the web-o-sphere. So easier to let it die. Now, years later, they've made a doc about gamers which follows the theme I laid down. But the production standards are more slick...

Ah, anyway.

I've decided to move away from a site that attempts to sell anyone in a "corporate" manner. Instead, this is to be more of an artist's portfolio. Please take it that way, and remember: the insights of some many cantankerous artists become the air you breath years later... though you never met them.

Am I suggesting I'm one of those guys? I don't know. Only history can judge.

But I do have ambitions to be among that level.

Anyway, I have a few fun adventure stories to tell you here. So buckle up.

XFunc Reboot 2013: Post One is Launched!

1 comment: